Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Taxi driver in Singapore

I took a taxi from airport to home. The taxi driver was previously working as an electrician in a town council. The town council oursourced the work to a contractor who brought in foreign workers and depreseed the wage to $1,500. He was not able to accept this reduced pay. So, he decided to drive a taxi.

He worked 12 hours a day and earned about $2,500 a month. About 15% of this calls come from booking. He has to pick up the passengers from the roadside or from private booking (without any fee) for the remaining 85%. 

He told me that if a taxi booking service is available on SMS, he will be happy to take up the calls without any booking fee. It is better than driving around to look for a passenger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.